Good Housekeeping's 10 best Beef Stew recipes for cosy winter nights
The temperatures have plummeted so what better way to warm our cockles than with Good Housekeeping's 10 best beef stew recipes. Packed full of chunky vegetables and all important protein these glorious dishes will prove to be the perfect healthy, hearty meals for all of the family.
Beef and Ale Stew with Dumplings
Tender chunks of beef with cheesy dumplings...you can't go wrong with this hearty stew recipe.
• 50 g (2oz) plain flour
• 1.2kg (2lb 11oz) chuck, stewing or casserole beef steak, trimmed and cut into 5cm (2in) chunks
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 2 large onions, sliced
• 300 ml (10 fl oz (½ pint)) beef stock
• 500 ml (17 fl 0z) ale
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 sprigs fresh thyme
• 200 g (7oz) button mushrooms, halved if large.
• 2 large carrots, cut into 5cm (2in) chunks
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
• 100 g (3 ½oz) plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 50 g 1 butter
• 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
• 1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves picked
• 50 g 1 extra mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and season. Toss a third of the beef in flour to coat, shaking off excess. Heat 1tbsp oil in a large casserole over medium heat. Fry meat until browned all over. Set aside. Repeat with the remaining meat using 1tbsp oil each time. Add 75ml (3fl oz) water to pan, scraping up brown bits.
- Reduce the heat. Add remaining oil and onions to pan. Cover and cook for 15min until soft, adding a splash of stock if dry.
- Return beef to pan with stock, ale and herbs. Bring to boil. Turn down heat, partially cover and simmer for 2-3hr until tender.
- Add the mushrooms and carrots; simmer for 30min.
- Meanwhile, make dumplings. Heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) mark 6. Mix all ingredients, apart from cheese, in a bowl with plenty of seasoning, or pulse in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Addcheese and mix in to form larger flakes, then sprinkle over 1–2tbsp water to bring the dough together. Roll into 6 balls and dot around stew leaving a 2cm (¾in) gap between them. Put into oven uncovered and cook for 20min until dumplings are puffed and golden. Sprinkle over extra parsley, if you like, and serve.
To read more of this article please visit http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/as-rated-by-the-ghi/10-beef-stew-and-casserole-recipe-ideas